Sunday, September 24, 2017

TenFourFox FPR3 available

TenFourFox Feature Parity Release 3 is now available (downloads, hashes, release notes), after much delay due to Floodgap's gateway crapping its pants on Friday night. You'll be interested to know that it's a PowerPC too, by the way (a Motorola Freescale e300 series microcontroller, roughly equivalent to a 603e). There's a reason I have an SLA, which is to have a tech dispatched to Floodgap HQ in the dead of night to reflash the firmware which is specific to my ISP, but it also meant I spent Friday evening twiddling my thumbs instead of applying security patches. Sorry about that.

The fix for issue 72 did not stick, unfortunately, so I backed it out and replaced it with additional debugging code (thus, there is also a Debug version). Other than completing the rest of the relevant security updates, there are no other changes relative to the FPR3 beta. As usual expect this to go live tomorrow night sometime Pacific.

For FPR4, I have another large AltiVec upgrade in mind, and I would like to take a first pass at CSS Grid support and maybe also WOFF2 updates. In addition, because of the impending release of Firefox 57 "Judgment Day for XUL" this will be the first release of TenFourFox to have the "Get Add-ons" tab removed, since the Mozilla-specific pages will be hawking WebExtensions. You can still install old-style XUL addons compatible with the underlying Gecko 45 infrastructure; they'll just be something you have to separately download from AMO or whatever. While I might reintroduce this tab in the future, right now I don't have enough time to maintain a full-service legacy add-on site myself. However, if this is something Someone(tm) wants to work on and they can meet the technical requirements (and make a commitment to hosting it for an indefinite period), we can talk about it and see if you're the right fit for our community. Open a ticket on Github if you're that person.

1 comment:

  1. Let me thank you all VERY, VERY much!!! Your browser has kept so many of us alive. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I have several PowerPC Macs and they'd all have to be in the recyclying bin if not for your browser. Where can we donate?

    ReplyDelete

Due to an increased frequency of spam, comments are now subject to moderation.